Logo facebook Logo Twitter Logo YouTube Logo RSS Logo YouTube Logo Instagram Logo Stage
Home / Immigration

Important information
The Ministry of the Interior, for Construction and Homeland informs about the consequences of a regulated brexit here.
The immigration authority (Ausländerbehörde) will inform british citizens and their families, who live in Heidelberg, about any required measures concerninig their residence permit on their German website. A registration at the immigration authority is not required.

How to find us
Visit us at the "Landfriedkomplex", Bergheimer Straße 147, in front of the restaurant "Moe`s Roadhouse". The entrance is located on the right next to the glass front building.

New in Heidelberg?

Welcome Home! This is your Heidelberg-Handbook (6.493 MB)

Familie in der Flüchtlingsunterkunft Hardtstraße (Foto: Dorn)

Guide to the Health Care System for Migrants
Find your way around the complicated German health care system, despite possible language barriers, with useful pointers and information about counselling services. You can download the brochure here or get it from the City's Administration Offices or the Public Health Office, Kurfürsten-Anlage 38-40.
English version (1.014 MB)
Turkish version (1.113 MB)
Arabic version (890.5 KB)

Don't hesitate to contact us:

Central Administration Office
Bergheimer Straße 147 (Landfriedgebäude)
69115 Heidelberg
Phone +49 6221 58-17520
Fax +49 6221 58-17380

An official giving advice to a new arrival (Photo: Dorn)


Help for new arrivals

Heidelberg is popular among new- and old-established residents. 160,000 people from more than 160 nations live in the city by the River Neckar. About 56,000 inhabitants have a migratory background and every year almost 400 new residents of Heidelberg receive an official naturalisation certificate from the city. Information regarding immigration to Germany and Heidelberg can be found here. Answers to further questions or personalized advice are offered by the administrative offices (Bürgerämter).


Landfried complex (Photo: City of Heidelberg)

In the Landfried complex there are special administrative services for new arrivals.

First informations

Consultation in the administrative office in Rohrbach (Photo: Rothe)

First informations concering your stay in Germany are offered by our online services.

Applying for asylum

Applicants for asylum during language learning (Photo: Rothe)

Temporary permission to stay, domicile and gainful employment: There is a lot you need to pay attention to when applying for asylum in Germany.

Integration in Heidelberg

Opening of the Intercultural Center (Interkulturelles Zentrum) (Photo: Rothe)

In Heidelberg, a welcoming and accepting culture creates the prerequisite for people to feel at home in the midst of growing diversity in their city.

Studying in Heidelberg

Lecture hall of the University of Heidelberg (Photo: Hoppe)

To enable foreigners to study at a German university, residence permits can be administered.

Working in Heidelberg

Working in Heidelberg (Photo: InnovationLab GmbH)

Who is allowed to work in Heidelberg? Where can I get my foreign qualifications officially recognized in Germany?

Residence titles

Consultation (Photo: Dorn)

Nationals of non-EU countries must hold a “residence title” while in Germany.

Marriage & family

Kids at the "Neckarwiese" in Heidelberg. (Photo: Dorn)

For spouses or children, it may be possible to follow their relatives to Germany.